Description

Allington Castle is a Medieval 12th-century castle and is fully furnished in character with its Medieval origins, with tapestries, antique furniture and Great Hall in which Henry VIII & Anne Boleyn dined with Sir Thomas Wyatt around 1530. All that remains of the original castle is a section of wall and the kitchen fireplace built in 1174. The Castle was converted into a mansion house in 1491 when the Wyatt family acquired the property. It was severely damaged by fire in the late 16th Century and was abandoned until 1905. The castle was then purchased and partly restored by Sir Martin Conway. Between 1951 and 1999 the castle was home to a convent of the Order of Carmelites. Although the castle is now a private residence, the Great Hall, barn and gardens are used as a wedding and event venue.

Picture Credit: © Allington Castle.

Location
Sign up for regular updates about what’s happening in Kent