Holy Trinity Church was built around 1080, though there is evidence that an earlier church was on the site in Saxon times. Under the reign of Henry III (1216-72), it was significantly extended to accommodate a new chapel dedicated to St Thomas of Canterbury for use by visiting pilgrims. Pilgrimages to Canterbury ceased in 1538 during the reign of Henry VIII. At this time, Becket’s altar was removed from the church, his festivals abolished, and the local trade in pilgrim souvenirs was halted. It is a significant building that dominates the High Street in the town, and a fresco depicting St George slaying the dragon was painted on the east wall of St Mary's chapel around 1485 and can still be seen today.