The Castle was built by Edward III from 1361 ‘for the defence of the realm and for the refuge of the inhabitants of the island’, he named it in honour of Philippa, his queen, according to Historic England. Construction of the Castle continued until 1369, with final touches such as the outer gates, being finished between 1373 and 1375. Its aim was to defend ships travelling along the River Swale from French raiders, however shortly after it was completed an earthquake brought down several of the towers which were then rebuilt by King Richard II. In 1650, Parliament decided after the Civil War that it was in a poor state of repair and therefore demolished it. According to Castles and Fortifications of England and Wales, most of the stonework was then shipped to London and all that is visible now is a public park with some outlines of earthworks overlying the foundations which do still remain.

Opening Hours
All times.


Queenborough - 4 minutes.

Sign up for regular updates about what’s happening in Kent