The Victorian cast iron bridge is an impressive sight, and key to the history and transport of the town. It was opened with great fanfare in 1856, had a short life and by the 1880s it was rendered redundant. Used for utilities to transport their pipes and cables in 1899 the Swing Bridge was closed. In 1910 the bridge was restructured and opened again for traffic in 1914. It now carries west-bound traffic from Rochester to Strood, as a new bridge was opened in 1970 to take carry two lanes East bound, and the old bridge had too much traffic to carry both east and west bound traffic.
Picture Credit: ©The Rochester Bridge Trust