St George’s Church at its current site was first mentioned as being licensed for worship in 1497. It was originally built as a chapel of ease, a church more convenient for those that lived away from the main church, which originally was St Mary’s. However, when St Mary’s fell into disrepair after a serious fire and subsequent repairs were not successful, St George’s Church became the main parish church. The original building was engulfed by a fire and rebuilt in 1733.
It has a history, as does Gravesend, with Pocahontas (a statue of the Princess is in the graveyard, please see our separate listing for more details). It was sold off as ‘surplus to requirements’ in the period after World War II. In the 1960s it was once more the parish church of Gravesend.
Picture Credit: © St George’s Church.