Description

St Mary's sits remote from Higham village in orchards on the edge of marshes that run to the Thames. It is an unusual church with great charm and eccentricity. Its striped walls of ragstone and knapped flint and a near-symmetrical arrangement of two naves and two chancels are surmounted by a shingled spirelet. Originally Norman, it was remodelled and enlarged in the 14th Century, perhaps when a priory of Benedictine nuns was established nearby. There is some memorable woodwork including a 14th Century chancel screen and pulpit and a particularly fine south door, treated like a four-light window with much delicate carving and some original ironwork. Restoration in 1863 provided most of the furnishings and the glass in the chancel windows. It is maintained by the Churches Conservation Trust.

Opening Hours
Daily
9am-6pm

Accessibility
Gravel path through the churchyard. There are steps down into the church.

Train
Higham- 1 mile.

Bus
417/418.

Location

Church Street, Higham, Rochester, Kent ME3 7LS, UK

Sign up for regular updates about what’s happening in Kent