Description

This Charing church stands at the heart of the village and the earliest parts of the church are the chancel and the nave built of flint in the 13th Century. The transepts were added in the early 14th Century, followed shortly by the vestry. However, a fire in 1590 destroyed the roof and much of the interior and was rebuilt. Adjacent to the church is the remains of Archbishop’s Palace. This large estate was given to the church of Canterbury in the 8th Century and remained the property of the Archbishops of Canterbury until the Reformation when the Manor passed into the hands of Henry VIII.

Sign up for regular updates about what’s happening in Kent