The Greyfriars Chapel is in the Franciscan Gardens in Canterbury and is the only building remaining of the first English Franciscan Friary built in 1267. It grew into a considerable monastery but was dissolved in 1538 under King Henry VIII's order. The Gardens are in the grounds of the original site of the monastery, when the Franciscans, or Grey Friars, arrived and realised the need for better accommodation and agricultural land to provide for themselves. The Eastbridge Hospital is next to the Chapel and Gardens.

Opening Hours

Adult: £5
Child - 17 and under: Free
Member: Free
Carer: Free.

Canterbury West and Canterbury East stations.

Canterbury Bus Station, top of the High Street.

Park and Ride
Approaching from Dover: New Dover Road CT13EJ
Approaching from Ashford: Wincheap CT13TY
Pay & Display parking and car parks throughout the city.

Picture Credit: © Eastbridge Hospital.

Sign up for regular updates about what’s happening in Kent