The North Foreland Lighthouse is an impressive lighthouse that was built in 1691, set on the cliffs of the Isle of Thanet, at the original site where a light was first exhibited in 1499. An original tower was built in 1636 but was destroyed by a fire in 1683, and so was replaced with the present tower. It was the last to be fully automated in 1998. No visitor site, but there are two cottages on the land that are rented out for holidays, and the lighthouse can be seen by the roadside. HOwever, visitors should take care of traffic as it is a typical country lane with a winding and narrowing road.
Picture Credit: © The Corporation of Trinity House.