The Twitch Heritage Centre is situated in the basement of Douces Manor in St. Leonard’s Street and is open to the public up to 10 times a year. The exhibition is managed by the Malling Society on behalf of West Malling Parish Counci and Douces Manor was originally the Headquarters and Mess for officers flying from RAF West Malling (now Kings Hill). The cellar bar was frequently visited by many young fighter pilots and became colloquially known as the Twitch Inn, due to the nervous affliction that affected many pilots. This noticeable twitch that many displayed was a result of the immense stress, strain and fatigue they experienced whilst forever looking over their shoulders to see if an enemy was on their tail. The name was ‘officially’ inscribed into the top half of the swing door by officers of 29 Squadron in 1944, using metal which could possibly have come from aircraft of the time.
Featuring the permanent text and photographic exhibition about West Malling Airfield as well as the display of artefacts, uniforms and cartoons from the time the Manor was an Officers’ Mess. You can also see the new exhibition by Ron Martin: Blues and Crews about the former Police Station in Police Station Road and the former Fire Station in West Malling High Street, an exhibition on The Town Malling Football Club (1885-2017), and three small displays about Malling Asylum, Fatherwell Hall and West Malling Women's Institute (1917 - 2013).
Open days only - up to 10 a year.
12Noon to 4pm
Last admission 3.30pm.
West Malling Station – 22 minutes.
Douce’s Manor is a private residence, the house and grounds are not open to the public.
Picture Credit: © Malling Society.