Sandgate Castle was the first of Henry VIII’s ‘Device Forts’ and guarded a beach that stood just 25 miles from the continent, making it a likely target in the event of an invasion, according to the CastlesFortBattles.co.uk website. Whilst it saw no action during Henry’s reign, it was occupied briefly by the Royalists during the Civil War and was regularly reactivated for coastal defence purposes, including in both world wars.
It survived a request by the South Eastern Railway Company for a railway line between Hythe and Folkestone, and in 1928 the sea damaged a portion of its structure. Now in private ownership, the exterior can be seen from the beach.
At all times.
Picture Credit:© CastlesFortBattles.co.uk.