The Assembly Rooms in Faversham are a versatile venue with a main hall ideal for a wide variety of events and home to a number of community and private functions. The Italianate building was built in 1849 after a fire in the previous year destroyed an earlier building dating from 1830. It was designed by a Maidstone architect, Martin Bulmer, architect to the Rochester Bridge Trust and Kent County Architect from 1860-1878. In about 1869 the rooms were hired to the equivalent of the Territorial Army, and by 1911 arrangements were made for the War Office to accept full responsibility for the site. More recently the Assembly Rooms were used by the Faversham Army Cadets and Air Training Corps. In 2010 a new charitable trust, the Faversham Buildings Preservation Trust, was formed to buy the Rooms and the purchase was made possible with the help of a substantial loan from the Architectural Heritage Fund. May 2011 saw the launch of a 6 year plan to restore this magnificent Victorian hall to the splendour reflected in the painting of it in 1853 and the Italianate Assembly Rooms have recently been restored to their original 1840s splendour.
Faversham - 5 minutes.
Toilet • Disabled Toilet
Picture Credit:© The Assembly Rooms.